Thanks for Judy Gladson of PVGRC her knowledge .. Modified to help KRC.
10 MONTHS PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- Select Hunt Test Committee Chairmen and Members. Following is a summary of everyone’s duties:
General Chairperson (That’s you) - Contact judges, secure grounds, secure permission from the State, complete AKC forms, order rosettes (Cindy Cameron), send thank you to all the judges & workers.
Hunt Test Secretary – Register Event on the Event Management system on the AKC site, prepare (along with Chairperson) and mail out premium lists, accept test entries, draw for running order, send acknowledgments to entrants, prepare catalogs and have them printed, make sure judges have score sheets and marshals have catalogs, send marked catalogs to AKC with the hunt test report.
Head Marshal - Get all workers, live bird throwers, dead bird throwers, poppers, blind planters, bird baggers, runners, greeters, etc. Prepare and send confirmation letters to workers 30 days prior to. (Head Marshal should really be present on site the day before the test)
Captain of the Guns - Secure live gunners (make sure they have their own guns and have current licenses)
Hospitality Chairperson - Hotel reservations and coordination, judges dinner reservations, judges and gunners gifts, welcome baskets for the judges, lunches, drinks, coolers, ice, coffee and donuts.
Game/Equipment Steward - Arrange for the Birdman, inventory and arrange for all equipment to be on site, arrange equipment at start and finish of each day, make sure marshals know what restrictions are (e.g. one boat, seven blinds, etc.), arrange for Port-A-Potty, arrange for signs to the grounds
Committee Members - Should be familiar with rules and tests, help with planning. At least 3/4 of the committee and the chairperson must be on site for the duration of the test
9 MONTHS PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson - Meet with committee to decide on site, fees and list of possible judges. Present to the board for approval
- Head Marshal - Start looking for volunteers
- Game/Equipment Steward - Arrange for birdman, start looking for equipment
8 - 6 MONTHS PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson & Hunt Test Secretary - Start working on premium list
- Complete any lease agreements and secure insurance for the event
- Contact Judges and send first judges confirmation letter
- Send advertisements to any publications that have long lead times
- Hospitality Chairperson - Make arrangements for headquarters hotel for judges and birdman
5 MONTHS PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson & Hunt Test Secretary - Send premium list OnLine HT Sec. and Upload to AKC
- Send letter to State securing permission to hold live waterfowl event
- Send completed AKC Hunt Test Questionnaire to the AKC
- Contact Purina or other Sponsors to see of they will support the event
3 MONTHS PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson - PANIC, surely you’ve forgotten something!!! (NAH)
2 MONTHS PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson - Order rosettes
- Hunt Test Secretary – Post Info ON Line / Web Site / Facebook
- Head Marshal - Send confirmation letters to workers & gunners
- Hospitality Chairperson - Make reservations for judges dinner, get volunteer to make lunches for workers.
- Game/Equipment Steward - Make arrangements for port-a potty, finalize equipment
- Captain of the Guns - Contact gunners, ensure they have hunting licenses and will bring their own guns.
1 MONTH PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson - Send reminder letters to judges with entries, details to site, arrangements for hotel and judges dinner, etc.
- Hunt Test Secretary - Receive premiums, pull running orders, send acknowledgments.
- Hospitality Chairperson - Confirm hotel rooms and dinner reservations. Make sure you have someone to do coffee, donuts, lunches, coolers, ice, etc. Confirm numbers of entrants and workers with them.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson - Confirm time to meet at site on Friday with leaseholder
- Get together a first aid kit to have on site, Confirm who has cellular phones
- Game/Equipment Steward - Confirm arrangements for port-a potty
- Hospitality Chairperson - Confirm number of lunches with club member responsible
1 DAY PRIOR TO HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson, Hunt Test Secretary, Head Marshal, Hospitality Chairperson and Game/Equipment Steward - Everyone meet at site, (If possible, the marshals for the Saturday stakes should be there too), work real hard and go to the judges dinner and ENJOY! (Hospitality Chairperson should buy drinks and dinner)
- Head Marshal - Makes sure the marshals are there for the stakes and accompany the judges to find the layout of the first series. If the individual marshals aren’t there, make sure the Head Marshal knows the series so everything can get rolling right away the day of the test. Make a final list at the end of the day where each stake will start and what equipment and how many people are required at that stake.
- Game/Equipment Steward - Make sure the equipment trailer is on site and all equipment accounted for. Make sure Port-A Potty arrives. Make sure radios are charged.
- Hospitality Chairperson - Check judges into hotel and have keys available on site. Do not pay for the birdman’s room, but make sure he has one! Put welcome baskets in the judges rooms. Attend judges dinner, pay for drinks and dinner.
DAY OF(Drumroll Please):
- General Chairperson - Run around like a crazy person when people are looking and sit back in your lounger and put on your fuzzy bunny slippers when no one is looking!!! Make sure the First Aid Kit is on site. Make arrangements if Sunday judges are coming in today, meet with them, set up test, etc.
- Hunt Test Secretary - Have catalogs for each marshal and for each judge, have catalogs at each stake for entrants. Mark catalogs at end of day.
- Head Marshal - Make sure your head marshal is there early and has their equipment and workers lined up ready to go to their stake. Make sure your greeter is at the table and your runner gassed up and ready.
- Game/Equipment Steward - WHERE ARE THE BIRDS!!! Make sure equipment is at each site. Make sure each marshal, runner, head marshal, secretary and runner and greeter has a radio (well, okay make them stretch...). At the end, make sure all equipment is accounted for and will be ready for tomorrow! Charge radios again.
- Hospitality Chairperson - Set out coffee and donuts for everyone, ice down cold drinks for lunch and make individual coolers for each stake. Set out any Purina goodies we might have. Make sure lunches arrive and count workers at each site and make sure proper number of lunches delivered. Keep track of coolers throughput the day. Make sure judges coming in for Sunday only are taken care of for hotel room, dinner, etc.
GET UP AND DO IT ALL AGAIN TOMORROW!!!!!!
(THERE IS LIFE AFTER THE HUNT TEST)
DAY AFTER HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson - Arrange for someone to be at site for pickup of Port-A-Potty, return keys
WEEK AFTER HUNT TEST:
- General Chairperson, Hunt Test Secretary, KRC Treasurer - Prepare reports for Club Records.
- General Chairperson - Send thank you notes to EVERYONE involved. 1994 sent handwritten notes to the judges along with reimbursements. Send typed letters to ALL workers and tell them we know where they live for next year!.
- Hunt Test Secretary - Send required reports to AKC.
1 MONTH AFTER HUNT TEST:
Upon completion of the Hunt Test, the AKC will automatically send an application for the following year’s test weekend to the KRC Secretary.
- This must be returned to the AKC with a check for $25.00 and a current membership list.
(After this is done, turn over all your files to next years chairperson and give yourself a big pat on the back!)